Main Page Content

On this page

General Information

Travellers in Windsor-Essex are warned that the Prime Minister of Canada has announced restricting access at the border to only Canadian citizens, permanent residents and close relatives of both. Border restrictions have also been enacted to restrict all non-essential travel outside of Canada.

Recent travel increases the risk for COVID-19. It is important for those travelling out of the country (including Michigan) to understand the risk of travel and follow the guidelines. Every level of government is consistent in its strong recommendation for the current suspension of all non-essential travel outside of Canada.

It is recommended that any resident that has travelled outside of Canada recently to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms for 14 days upon return for their protection and those around them. Individuals who are self-isolating should not go to work.

If symptoms develop at any time during self-isolation, residents should contact their health care provider or the WECHU at 519-258-2146 ext. 1420 to determine next steps.

Essential service workers

Essential service workers are defined as those necessary for daily living such as health care workers, first responders to life threatening events, critical infrastructure workers and others necessary to maintain essential societal functions.

Recommendations for Essential Service Workers and travel outside of Canada from the Local Medical Officer of Health:

  • Essential service workers returning from non-essential travel self-isolate and monitor symptoms for 14-days upon return
  • Essential service workers travelling for essential work purposes should self-monitor symptoms daily including temperature reading
  • Essential workers returning from travel should notify their employer before returning to work and follow their guidance in addition to these recommendations.
  • At any time during self-isolation if symptoms develop residents should contact their health care provider or the WECHU at 519-258-2146 ext. 1420 to determine next steps.

Cruise travel and travel to highly impacted areas

Cruise travel and areas highly impacted by COVID-19 are identified as significantly high-risk travel. Individuals who are returning from cruise voyage or a highly impacted area should self-isolate immediately (including essential workers) and contact their health care provider or the WECHU at 519-258-2146 ext. 1420 to determine next steps.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I travelled for personal reasons, should I self-isolate?

Currently, all non-essential travel outside of Canada has been suspended.

Anyone travelling outside of Canada, are directed to self-isolate for 14 days upon return as part of the Quarantine Act. If symptoms develop during self-isolation, including fever and/or cough call the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit at 519-258-2146 ext. 1420.

How does this affect me if I work in the United States?

If you have travelled to the United States for work and are not a healthcare worker or another essential service worker it is recommended that you self-isolate for a period of 14 days upon returning to Canada.

How can I be safe if I am considered an essential worker or health care worker?

  • Practice physical distancing (maintain a distance of at least 2 metres from others)
  • Use personal protective equipment as necessary
  • Follow infection prevention and control measures to reduce the risk of transmission.
  • Closely self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days upon return to work and notify your employer so that a plan may be put in place to protect others
  • Self-isolate if you develop any symptoms call the WECHU at 519-258-2146 ext. 1420 or Telehealth at 1-866-797-0000

How do I know if I should contact a healthcare provider if I am concerned about COVID-19?

The easiest way to determine if you should contact your health care provider is by taking Ontario’s self-assessment tool for COVID-19.


COVID-19 Travel Advice:

Related Content: 

Last modified: 
Friday, April 3, 2020 - 8:46am