Fluzone High Dose (HD-TIV) is currently out of stock.
Additional doses are expected to be available at the beginning of December.
- This season there are two flu vaccines for people 65 years of age and older:
- A standard dose quadrivalent vaccine (QIV) that protects against 4 flu strains
- A high dose trivalent (TIV) that protects against 3 flu strains, in higher doses
- Studies have shown that the high-dose TIV provides better protection against the influenza
A(H3N2) strain in individuals who are ≥65 years of age compared to the standard-dose TIV
formulations (standard TIV is not offered this year). Influenza A(H3N2) is associated with greater disease burden in individuals 65 years of age and older.
- QIV offers protection against the same strains contained in the high-dose TIV formulation with
additional protection against a second influenza B strain not contained in the high-dose formulation.
- Currently, there is insufficient evidence to directly compare the high-dose TIV and QIV
- Do not delay vaccination in order to wait for a particular product.
- Both QIV and high-dose TIV protect against the flu, and the most important thing is for seniors to be vaccinated.
Quadrivalent flu vaccine continues to be available to order from the Health Unit.
Additional information about the influenza vaccine products for adults 65 years and older, are available on the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Universal Influenza Immunization Program’s website
For further questions, please contact: 519-258-2146 ext. 1121
To submit orders and temperature logs:
Fax: (519) 977-1711 or email firstname.lastname@example.org