Main Page Content

During the peak growing season, there are approximately 8,000-10,000 seasonal workers employed at one of 176 farms in Windsor-Essex County.

Everyone working in the agriculture sector, including farm and greenhouse workers, equipment operators, maintenance workers, truck drivers and administrative staff must take measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

These measures include:

  • Keeping up to date on local notices and orders
  • following procedures for newly arriving temporary foreign workers, including a 14-day self-isolation requirement
  • ensuring all temporary isolation and long-term housing accommodations are inspected by the WECHU before occupancy
  • following infection prevention and control practices in the workplace and in housing accommodations provided by the employer.
  • regular screening and self-monitoring for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 by all workers
  • following procedures if a worker has a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19
  • ensuring workers are up-to-date on all requirements and health and safety concerns

For any concerns or complaints related to seasonal housing accommodations, please call the Environmental Health Department at 519-258-2146 ext. 4475

New for 2021

Newly arriving Temporary Foreign Workers will be given "Home Test Kits". The "Home Test Kit" is for the workers to conduct a self-administered Covid-19 test on day 10 of their 14 day quarantine.

This federal initiative is overseen by Switch Health. View details here.

Related Content: 

Last modified: 
Friday, April 9, 2021 - 4:01pm