Stay Warm: Beat the Chill
Main Page Content
Cold-related injuries are preventable. Follow these tips to reduce your risk of a cold-related injury and stay warm this winter.
- Monitor local weather forecasts and warnings regularly – Stay up -to -date by checking wechu.org or by following the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit on Facebook or Twitter.
- Dress warmly – cover as much exposed skin as possible, dress in layers with a wind- resistant outer layer, a hat, mittens, and scarf.
- Remove outer layers of clothing or open your coat if you are sweating to stay dry.
- Keep moving, especially your hands and feet to maintain your body heat.
- Seek shelter when wind chill is significant, or limit the time you spend outside.
- Drink warm fluids and avoid alcohol – drinking alcohol before going outside can give you a false sense of warmth.
- Plan ahead by preparing your home for cold weather. Make sure your heating system is working well and seal all cracks and drafts.
- Keep your vehicle well-maintained and equip your car with an emergency kit.
- Check on your neighbours and family
- Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia. Hypothermia is a medical emergency. Call 911 immediately if you suspect someone may have hypothermia.
Friday, February 10, 2023 - 2:54pm