Main Page Content
This section is a source of information for health care providers to guide them in their clinical practice regarding the Universal Influenza Immunization Program (UIIP).
The Health Protection and Promotion Act 1990 (HPPA), R.S.O., 1990, outlines the requirements for physicians, practitioners, laboratories, and institutions to report any suspect or confirmed influenza cases to the Medical Officer of Health. This information is collected under Regulation 569 of the HPPA. Influenza is to be reported by the next working day. If the individual presents with a novel or emerging respiratory infection, please report immediately to the Medical Officer of Health.
General information regarding Ontario’s influenza immunization program:
- General information regarding influenza
- 2022/2023 Universal Influenza Immunization Program (UIIP)
- Ministry of Health Memo to Health Care Providers Re: Ontario’s UIIP Program
Information for Windsor-Essex County providers who administer influenza vaccines:
- Vaccine Storage and Handling Guidelines
- National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI): Canadian Immunization Guide Chapter on Influenza and Statement on Seasonal Influenza Vaccine for 2022/2023
Adverse Events Following Immunization (AEFIs):
- Canadian Immunization Guide section on early vaccine reactions including anaphylaxis (includes details on the management of anaphylaxis).
- Adverse Events Following Immunization (AEFIs)
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. Universal influenza Immunization Program (UIIP).
Health Care Provider Qs & As:
- Information for the 2022/2023 Influenza Season
- Information for individuals 6 months to 64 years of age
- Information for individuals > 65 years of age
Diagnostic Testing Updates:
- Public Health Ontario Laboratory: Influenza testing with nasopharyngeal swab
- Public Health Ontario Laboratory: Labstract (October 2020) - Respiratory Virus Testing Update
- Antiviral Medication Use During an Influenza Outbreak: Congregate Living Settings (Public Health Ontario)
- Public Health Ontario Factsheet: Influenza Antiviral Treatment
Influenza Immunization Awareness Posters:
- Browse a list of downloadable immunization posters from Immunize Canada, available in English and French.